Foodservice Category Manager (Purchasing Manager)
Job ID: 91201BR
Primary Location: Springfield, Missouri
Date Posted: 11/20/2023
Performance Foodservice, PFG's broadline distributor, maintains a unique relationship with a variety of local customers, including independent restaurants and hotels, healthcare facilities, schools, and quick-service eateries. A team of sales reps, chefs, consultants, and other experts builds close relationships with customers - providing advice on improving operations, menu development, product selection, and operational strategies. The Performance team delivers delicious food but also goes above and beyond to help independent restaurant owners achieve their dreams.
We Deliver the Goods:
- Competitive pay and benefits, including Day 1 Health & Wellness Benefits, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, 401K Employer Matching, Education Assistance, Paid Time Off, and much more
- Growth opportunities performing essential work to support America's food distribution system
- Safe and inclusive working environment, including culture of rewards, recognition, and respect
Manage purchasing and financial management functions related to assigned product categories in order to achieve maximum profits and customer satisfaction. Manage, train and lead direct report buyers in their categories. Coordinate the buying, selling, and merchandising efforts of the vendor and distributor network, resulting in satisfied customers, profitable sales and above average in-stock percentages, inventory turns, and days accounts payable outstanding. Interfaces with customers, vendors, management, warehouse personnel, and the Accounting, Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, Transportation, Information Services, Inbound Freight Traffic personnel, Director of Purchasing and other Purchasing personnel. Functions as a leader within the department and organization, as required, and performs any duty assigned to best serve the company.
- Lead and manage own and direct report categories to maintain optimal inventory levels to meet customers' needs and expectations.
- Increase inventory turns upon reaching full truckloads.
- Resolve slow moving and dead inventory issues.
- Consolidate low volume, slow turning items and vendors.
- Review over-committed, urgent items, buyer's outs, stock adjustments, receiving discrepancies, and sales below cost reports.
- Negotiate buy brackets, inbound freight rates, backhaul dollars, cash discounts, extended terms, and earned income.
- Ensure costing and pricing accuracy, with special attention to changes, discrepancies, and customer audits.
- Process returns to vendors including entering vendor bill backs before merchandise leaves our buildings.
- Set up vendor bill backs with Director of Purchasing and Director of Marketing.
- Review monthly reports.
- Work with Accounts Payable to ensure that vendor bill backs are promptly billed and deducted.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
High School Diploma/GED or Equivalent Experience
4-6 years Foodservice distribution and purchasing experience
Bachelors: Business management, marketing or related area.
6-10 years Foodservice distribution and purchasing management experience.
Performance Food Group and/or its subsidiaries (individually or collectively, the "Company") provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all applicants and employees, regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations. Please click on the following links to review: (1) our EEO Policy; (2) the "EEO is the Law" poster and supplement; and (3) the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.