Core-Mark is a Fortune 300 company and leading distributor of fresh food and packaged goods to the convenience retail industry across the United States and Canada. Our 130-year legacy is built on embracing new challenges, delivering new solutions, and always supporting our customers and each other. Our success comes from both the power of our individual team members and working together as a team.
Core-Mark is looking for a talented, bright, and driven individual who will use their exceptional people skills to build and maintain rapport with our existing and prospective clients. This individual needs strong organizational and business acumen to maintain current accounts with an eye for market expansion. An individual who can think on their feet in order to get the deal done.
The Business Development Manager is responsible for the delivery of the annual revenue target determined in collaboration with the General Sales Manager. Through effective account management and new business identification the Business Development Manager is responsible for delivering an accurate revenue forecast based on the operational activity and expenditures planned by their customers. The role is supported by Territory Managers and Sales Development Representatives to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of all sales processes including support for client engagement opportunities, opportunity management, ownership change, and management of contract review processes. They are accountable for retaining the customer base as well as identifying and successfully developing relations with new customers. They are responsible for understanding client needs and for introducing our Core-Mark portfolio of products and services.
* This position requires a significant amount of travel. The successful candidate can expect approximately 80% travel in this role.
Identify Prospective Clients
- Identify the decision makers within the customer organization;
- Meet potential customers by growing, maintaining, and leveraging your network;
- Set up meetings between customer decision makers and company’s practice leaders/Principals;
- Cold call as appropriate within your market or geographic area to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities;
- Research alternative business opportunities and build relationships with new customers.
- Present new products and services and enhance existing relationships;
- Work with technical staff and other internal colleagues to meet customer needs;
- Arrange and participate in internal and external customer debriefs;
- Use a variety of styles to persuade or negotiate appropriately overcoming objections by clarifying, emphasizing agreements, and working through differences to a positive conclusion.
Business Development Planning
- Attend industry functions, such as association events and conferences, and provide feedback and information on market and creative trends;
- Present to and consult with mid and senior level management on business trends with a view to developing new services, products, and distribution channels;
- Identify opportunities for campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sales;
- Using knowledge of the market and competitors, identify and develop the company’s unique selling propositions and differentiators.
Management and Research
- Submit weekly progress report and ensure that data is accurately entered and managed within the company’s CRM or other sales management system;
- Forecast sales targets and ensure they are met by the team;
- Track and record activity on accounts and help to close deals to meet these targets;
- Present business development training and mentoring to business developers and other internal staff;
- Forecast annual sales and close dates for potential customers;
- Review pricing strategies and manage gross profit in your accounts;
- Plan approaches and pitches;
- Work with the Core-Mark team to develop proposals that speak to the customer’s needs, concerns, and objectives.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Self-driven seeking career and personal development a necessity;
- Pro-active, organized multi-tasker with strong emotional intelligence skills required;
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience with Business Development and Sales Team development strategies in the C-Store Industry required;
- Proven success developing new accounts and increasing existing customer base sales;
- Strong people and communication skills combined with strong organizational and prioritization skills;
- Experience managing sales team actions towards meeting budgets and sales plans;
- Industry experience in the sale of consumer products to retail, grocery, convenience, and drug store mass merchandisers;
- Public speaking and presentation education is considered an asset;
- Reliable vehicle, current auto insurance and valid driver’s license with clean driving record;
- Creative, proactive and able to work self-sufficiently is necessary;
- Business acumen;
- Adaptable and flexible;
- A willingness and openness to taking on new challenges and tasks;
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ensure all team members represent the company in the best light;
- Research and develop a thorough understanding of the company’s people and capabilities;
- Understand the company’s goal and purpose to continue to enhance the company’s performance.
NOTE: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the company reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed.
Pre-employment screening including a criminal background check and employment verification are a condition of employment.
Core-Mark is committed to providing accommodation to people with disabilities throughout the job application and interview process to the point of undue hardship. If you require an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact a HR representative.